Tuesday, November 12, 2013

One of the healthiest food in the World: Kimchi

Hello, everyone.

Today, I want to introduce a food which I enjoy almost every day. First of all, I am from South Korea. I am not sure that you guys know about a traditional Korean food called Kimchi or Gimchi. Kimchi, also spelled kimchee or gimchi, is a traditional fermented Korean side dish made of vegetables with a variety of seasonings. It is often described as "spicy" or "sour". In traditional preparation Kimchi was often allowed to ferment underground in jars for months at a time. It is Korea's national dish, and there are hundreds of varieties made with a main vegetable ingredient such as napa cabbage, radish, scallion, or cucumber. Kimchi is also a main ingredient for many Korean dishes such as kimchi stew (kimchi jjigae), kimchi pancake (kimchijeon), kimchi soup (kimchiguk), and kimchi fried rice (kimchi bokkeumbap). Almost all Koreans enjoy this food as a side dish in each meal. There are many kinds of Kimchi, but I will introduce the most common one, napa cabbage kimchi. The reddish fermented cabbage (and sometimes radish) dish—made with a mix of garlic, salt, vinegar, chile peppers, and other spices—is served at every meal, either alone or mixed with rice or noodles.

Ingredients
1 (2-pound) head napa cabbage
1/4 cup sea salt or kosher salt
Water
1 tablespoon grated garlic (about 5-6 cloves)
1 teaspoon grated ginger 
1 teaspoon sugar
2-3 tablespoons seafood flavor or water (optional)
1-5 tablespoons Korean red pepper flakes (gochugaru)
8 ounces Korean radish or daikon, peeled and cut into matchsticks
4 scallions, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces


 
Kimchi Nutrition
Kimchi is prized for its nutritional benefits. Because kimchi is a vegetable based dish, it is high in fiber, vitamins A, B, and C, and minerals yet low in calories. Lactobacillus, the same bacteria used to make yogurt, is used in the fermentation of kimchi. Lactobacillus is valued for its ability to aid in digestion and keep a healthy balance of bacteria in the gut. This good bacteria also seems to help stop and even prevent yeast infections, according to a recent study. And more good news: Some studies show fermented cabbage has compounds that may prevent the growth of cancer.



With the average Korean consuming nearly 40 pounds of kimchi per year, many attribute the good health of Korea's citizens to the many benefits of kimchi. Usually kimchi which Koreans eat is home-made. For example, in my home, my grandmother and mom make kimchi together after buying some ingredient from a local market. Cabbages are grown up in a farm, or imported from china. Other ingrediants are also from local market where around my home. However, since I am in America, it is not easy to get kimchi from the other side of earth. I would like to get shipped by plane, but it costs a lot. Therefore, I always buy Kimchi in a Korean market in Diamond bar or around Los Angeles. Kimchi what I buy is made by a big company, BCD Food INC. The company location is in Gardena California. They make in a factory, and then send it to all grocery markets. It is in a reusable container box. I usually re-use the container after eating all kimchi.
It is great that I can eat fresh kimchi even on the other side of earth.
I highly recommend you to try Korean traditional food Kimchi.
Thank you for reading~ Ask me if you have any questions !

Here are some websites which explains about Kimchi more.


2 comments:

  1. Young! Great post! I was excited that you picked Kimchi to blog about. I remember talking about this with you one day in class. I liked that you posted a recipe. Do you make kimchi your self? I have have made sauerkraut before, which is the American version of kimchi, but I haven't been brave enough to try it. Keep up the hard work that you are putting in!

    Tim M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog was really informative and taught me a lot. I've always heard about Kimchi but never actually knew what is was.. have you ever had Red Hot Kitchen? They're a mexican-asian fusion restaurant and they have a kimchi quesadilla! lol

    ReplyDelete