Tuesday, November 26, 2013

“24 Hour Energy Saving Day.”

How much can you minimize my energy usage as much as possible for a 24 hour period?

Have you thought of this Idea? 

It could not be very significant for energy saving; however, when one reduces even a little of energy usage, the added up reduction will be huge.

Here is what I did for “24 Hour Energy Saving Day.”

          From Friday night until Saturday night I did absolutely nothing. I took a quick 5 minute shower instead of 15 minutes. I did not use my computer for the 24 hour time frame. Instead of using my computer to watch shows and be on the internet going Facebook and such, I just watched 2 hours of television. I only used my phone when someone would call me or if I need to call someone. I did not use my phone to text, go on my social media networks or check my email. When I would get hungry I would eat snacks that I had in the cabinet. Also, I only ate instant ramen instead of cooking a meal that would use a lot of electricity. As it got dark, I stayed in my room and turned on my desk light when I need to look for something. I ended up sleeping early due to the fact that I was tired. I did not turn on the heater; instead I just grab another blanket to cover myself.
I realized during this exercise the hardest thing for me to give up was my cell phone. My cell phone is basically my life because I use it for social media, check internet, text or call people and play games when I’m bored. To keep myself away from my cell phone I did other assignments for my other classes that did not require me to go on the internet or use my computer. Also, I began to read a book called Lost Symbol by Dan Brown. I read up to chapter 3 because I only read it when I was bored and did not want to do school work. The second thing for me to give up was my heater. During the day it is not cold enough to turn on the heater, but at night it becomes cold. Every night I turn on the heater and turn it off right before I go to bed since the room is already warm.
There are things that I’m not willing to give up permanently, but I have cut back down on the amount of electricity I use at home. During this exercise I only used one light and that was the one that was located in my room. Usually I use more than 5 lights in my house and I don’t turn them off until I go to sleep. I decided to change my study location from my room to the living room, since the living room is connected to the kitchen. I decided to have the kitchen light on in my house because it is bright enough that it covers the living room as well. Also, I have decided to cut back on the amount of times I turn on the heater in my house. I have decided to only turn it on when I have guest over and turn in off when they leave, since I realized I can sleep with an extra blanket and it keeps me warm.
          Without me giving an effort I have reduced the amount I charge my laptop and the amount of time the lights and heater. I think if I continue this routine I would naturally do it. Also, I will see the difference in my electricity bill and the water bill. Normally during this time I use more water than any other season, since I shower with hot water. Since I shower with hot water, I take longer because I do not want to go out to the cold. Realistically in the future I would probably use less electricity, laptop and cell phone because I would no longer be a student thus not having a reason why to spend so much electricity. Also, when I have children I would teach them not spend so much electricity because it is not good for the environment and they need to do when the lights go out.
           I had great time doing this project even though it was very difficult for me. I would like to do this maybe every month when I feel like doing nothing I will try to do it. It was very good for me to take a rest and think about myself more. I realized a lot about what I am doing, why I am doing, and how I am doing.


Once you have done this, you would feel good that you tried to save OUR EARTH.

No comments:

Post a Comment